1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
The name Noah is of Hebrew origin. The meaning of Noah is “rest, comfort”
God saw Noah as righteous before Him in this generation and when Noah began to preach he was a preacher of righteousness. His preaching brought the flood upon the world of the ungodly.
“And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly”
• Noah’s great grandfather was Enoch. He walked with God and was translated at the age of 365 years. He did not see death.
• Noah’s grandfather was Methuselah. He has the oldest recorded lifespan of any human on this planet. 969 years!
• Noah’s father was Lamech. He lived to be 777 years old. Lamech seemed to have some insight into God’s plan for Noah. (Gen.5:29)
• Noah never new Enoch but he did know his grandfather Methuselah, who died the year of the flood. The first man Adam was alive for the first 243 years of Methuselah’s life. Seth, Adams third son, knew Noah for 34 years before He died.
• Noah began building the Ark and preaching righteousness at least 20 years before his sons were born.*
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.